If you witness someone overdose on an opioid medication, or suspect you have found someone who is overdosed, here is what you do:
- Call 911 and tell them someone is not breathing
- Administer naloxone
- Provide Rescue Breathing, and continue breathing for them
- Place the person on their side in the event of vomiting
- Administer 2nd dose of naloxone after 3 minutes if needed
- Remain with them until EMS arrives
Rescue breathing information:
- Tilt head back. Life chin. Pinch nose.
- Give 2 quick breaths. Chest should rise.
- Then 1 slow breath every 5 seconds.
- Keep going until they start breathing or help arrives.
- Oxygen is critical when someone is not breathing.